To ensure that all Henry County residents realize the value of our environment and its resources, the district provides a variety of educational activities, programs and services. These are provided for residents of Henry County for the annual fee of $12.00.
Public Recycling – there are 10 recycling sites throughout Henry County.
- Knightstown – corner of Jefferson Street/County Road 1200 North (Wastewater Treatment Plant)
- Middletown – behind Municipal Building. on Locust Street.
- Mooreland – behind former grocery store on corner of Mills Street & Cory Street
- New Castle – New Castle Transit Station
- New Castle – North 12th Street (Opposite the New Castle Police Department)
- New Lisbon – beside Fire Department/Post Office on Wilbur Wright Road/500 South
- Straughn – US 40 East/Post Office parking lot
- Sulphur Springs – behind Post Office
- Mt. Summit – back of the Mt. Summit Park on the south side of lot/east of park (temporarily pulled)
- Springport – lot across from Post Office on Main Street.
Electronics Recycling – we are able to collect electronics year around at the district office. *See list of what can be dropped off at 1121 Broad Street, New Castle, IN
Used Oil Drop off-site at the Henry County Highway Department A 400 gallon container that is accessible during the Highway Department business hours. * please take your containers with you once you have disposed of the oil.
Used Household Battery Sites – There are 4 sites in Henry County to drop off used batteries. You may drop off AA, AAA, C, D & 9 volt batteries ONLY at the following sites:
- Walmart– in the customer service area
- Sulphur Springs Post Office – behind the Post Office near the recycling containers
- Spiceland Town Hall – container sits on the front porch area facing east
- District Office– 1121 Broad Street, New Castle, IN – batteries must be brought inside the district office
Household Hazardous Waste Program
- Tox-Away Day (Please check our Events Page for the date)
Fluorescent & CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) bulb recycling
- District Office– 1121 Broad Street, New Castle, IN – CFL must be brought inside the district office
Environmental Education Programs for the Classroom and Events
- Recycled Journals
- Recycled Hats
- Incredible Edible Landfill
- Environmental Bingo
- Household Hazards
- Solar Ovens
- Free Rain Barrel Workshops
- Clear Stream Recycling Container Loan-Out Program
- Tree Planting Program
*Henry County SWMD partners with Healthy Communities for the Annual Tree Give-Away Program each year. Trees are purchased from the Indiana State Nursery. Henry County residents may contact the district office the first week in April to place a tree order. Limit 10 trees per residence and it is first come first served basis.