To ensure that all Henry County residents realize the value of our environment and its resources, the district provides a variety of educational activities, programs and services. These are provided for residents of Henry County for the annual fee of $12.00.
Re-use Center – open to educators, home schooled, non-profits and churches. We accept unwanted, over stocked or by product materials from business, industry and residents.
Public Recycling – there are 8 recycling sites throughout Henry County.
- Middletown – behind Municipal Building. on Locust Street.
- Mooreland – behind former grocery store on corner of Mills Street & Cory Street
- New Castle – New Castle Transit Station
- New Castle – North 12th Street (Opposite the New Castle Police Department)
- New Lisbon – beside Fire Department/Post Office on Wilbur Wright Road/500 South
- Sulphur Springs – behind Post Office
- Mt. Summit – back of the Mt. Summit Park on the south side of lot/east of park
- Springport – lot across from Post Office on Main Street.
Electronics Recycling – we are able to collect electronics year around at the district office. *See list of what can be dropped off at 1121 Broad Street, New Castle, IN
Used Oil Drop off-site at the Henry County Highway Department A 400 gallon container that is accessible during the Highway Department business hours. * please take your containers with you once you have disposed of the oil.
Used Household Battery Sites – There are 2 sites in Henry County to drop off used batteries. You may drop off AA, AAA, C, D & 9 volt batteries ONLY at the following sites:
- Spiceland Town Hall – container sits on the front porch area facing east
- District Office– 1121 Broad Street, New Castle, IN – batteries must be brought inside the district office
Household Hazardous Waste Program
- Tox-Away Day (Please check our Events Page for the date)
Fluorescent & CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) bulb recycling
- District Office– 1121 Broad Street, New Castle, IN – all CFL’s and Fluorescents must be brought into the district office.
** DO NOT PLACE ANY BULBS IN THE DISTRICT RECYCLING CONTAINERS.
Environmental Education Programs for the Classroom and Events
- Recycled Journals
- Recycled Hats
- Incredible Edible Landfill
- Environmental Bingo
- Solar Ovens
- Clear Stream Recycling Container Loan-Out Program
- Tree Planting Program
*Henry County SWMD partners with Healthy Communities for the Annual Tree Give-Away Program each year. Trees are purchased from the Indiana State Nursery. Henry County residents may contact the district office the first week in April. Limit 10 trees per residence. The tree give-away is handled on a First Come, First Served basis.